Monday, January 25

Victoria Tightens Border Measures With South Australia After COVID-19 Outbreak


Travelers from Adelaide, including areas of the city, will need to be tested for COVID-19 and self-quarantined upon arrival in Victoria as the state tightens its border measures.

The Department of Health confirmed today that travel advice and border measures had been revised, and it was recommended not to go ahead on all non-essential travel to South Australia.

It comes as Victoria recorded her 19th day of zero coronavirus cases and zero deaths.

“We are, as the South Australian government, requesting that not all non-essential travel from South Australia to Victoria be made,” said Victoria’s Health Minister Martin Foley.

Adelaide travelers face additional screening at Victorian airports, with the state divided into three “risk zones.”

People in critical areas of Adelaide, known as the ‘red zone’, must self-quarantine upon arrival and take a COVID-19 test.

Similarly, travelers who have been to the Adelaide metropolitan area are part of the ‘amber zone’ of risk and must undergo a COVID-19 test and isolate themselves until their results are received.

The South Australian region has been classified as “low risk”, which means that people from regional communities can enter Victoria normally.

Victoria’s Deputy Director of Health Dr Allen Cheng said the border between South Australia and Victoria would remain open at this stage.

“Closing the border is not justified at this stage,” he said.

“We are closely monitoring the situation in South Australia.”

Dr Cheng said that people entering Victoria from South Australia by road will not be detained.

So far, a total of 91 people have been tested at airports, and all the results came back negative.

Adelaide travelers who arrived in Victoria before the new border measures were announced will still need to be tested for COVID-19.

“We have obtained passenger lists. We are in the process of contacting them and asking them to be screened and isolated while we await those results,” he said.

Cars are seen lining up at the Victoria Park COVID testing center. (Getty)

The Victorian government will also deploy “rapid swab testing” facilities for interstate truck drivers starting tomorrow.

The saliva test will take no more than 10 minutes at the border between South Australia and Victoria.

The test sites will be installed in the regional city of Nhill, in the Wimmera region, and others will be “progressively added” to other major routes.

“It is the second busiest freight route in and out of Victoria and it is vital to keep it open for our friends in South Australia to see,” Foley said.

Three active cases of COVID-19 remain in Victoria.

Foley said the cases had not disappeared because they were older people who were being closely monitored at the hospital.

“The good news is that they have not been required to be in intensive care during that period,” he said.

“The medical advice is that we treat them with great caution before sending them home.”

Dr. Cheng said Victoria’s streak of zero cases was the longest in a row since February.

“This is the longest consecutive streak of any new case since February where we had no community transmission at that time,” he said.


www.9news.com.au

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *