Australian News

Australian news and media publication


Western Australia has imposed coronavirus quarantine restrictions on arrivals to New South Wales in response to a new cluster of viruses on Sydney’s north beaches.

“Due to the evolving situation in New South Wales, with six locally acquired cases recorded so far, the state government is taking immediate action under its controlled border agreement to further protect WA,” said the WA Prime Minister, Mark McGowan, in a statement.

Shortly after McGowan’s statement was issued, it was announced that Sydney’s group had grown to 17.

Effective immediately, anyone who has come to WA from NSW since December 11 or who has been in NSW since December 11 and has since arrived in the state should self-quarantine as soon as possible.

“This group of individuals must present for a COVID-19 test within the next 24 hours, then they will need to return to self-quarantine until a negative test result is confirmed,” the statement said.

WA Premier Mark McGowan opens borders to NSW, VIC and SA. (9News)

“Anyone arriving from Sydney Airport or another Australian airport that has been to New South Wales on or after December 11, should take a COVID-19 test from now on, either at Perth Airport upon arrival or at another COVID clinic within 24 hours the same self-quarantine requirement until a negative test result is confirmed. “

McGowan said WA police will contact all arrivals about the changes.

“These are additional precautionary and immediate steps that the state government is taking to protect all Western Australians, based on our advice from health experts,” he said in the statement.

“As I said before, we will not hesitate to change our border controls if the health council recommends it.

“I understand that these changes will cause frustration and uncertainty for some people.

“We ask for your patience and understanding as we take these steps to protect the health of all Western Australians.”

Thousands of people on Sydney’s North Beaches have been asked to stay home as a cluster of coronaviruses grows in the area.

There are now 17 people linked to the cluster and the New South Wales government has requested that people in the area not leave their homes.

Anyone living from The Spit Bridge in Manly to Palm Beach has been asked to stay home.

Today’s new cases include a man in his 60s from Frenchs Forest; the elderly care worker, who is 60 years old; and his partner, a man in his 70s.

The Frenchs Forest man is a drummer for the band Nothing Too Serious and “traveled a lot” to perform in various venues, from Avalon to Penrith, while potentially infectious.

The man is known to have performed at Penrith RSL, Kirribilli Club and Avalon RSL.


www.9news.com.au

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *