Australian News

Australian news and media publication


Facebook has removed Pete Evans’ official page after the celebrity chef continued to share misinformation about him coronavirus with his followers.

The social media giant said today that it removed Evans’s profile for repeated violations of its misinformation and damage policies.

“We do not allow anyone to share misinformation about COVID-19 that may lead to imminent physical harm or COVID-19 vaccines that have been discredited by public health experts,” a Facebook company spokesperson said in a statement.

Pete Evans (Fairfax / Nine)
Pete Evans. (Fairfax / Nine)

“We have clear policies against this type of content and have removed Chef Pete Evans’ Facebook page for repeated violations of these policies.”

Facebook has previously removed posts from Evans’ Facebook page for violating company policies.

Last month, Evans posted an illustration of a caterpillar and a butterfly talking over a drink with his social media followers.

In the picture, the butterfly has a “black sun” symbol on its wings, while the caterpillar wears a pro-Trump Make America Great Again red hat.

The black sun mark is a known Nazi symbol, which the mass shooter from Christchurch had stamped on his backpack.

After a public reaction, the host was removed.

A ‘healthy simmering sauce’ by celebrity chef Pete Evans was recalled last month after mislabeling sparked fears of undeclared allergens. (Supplied)

Facebook’s decision to ditch the chef from its network comes just days after Evans used his profile to urge his Sydney followers not to get tested for COVID-19 during the Northern Beaches outbreak.

During a Facebook livestream on April 9, Evans, who signs up online as an organic paleo chef, health coach, motivational speaker, and author, claimed that a $ 15,000 device sold on his website called “biocharger” could used in relation to what called the “Wuhan Coronavirus”.

Facebook has 15,000 content reviewers who work to verify that content meets their community standards.

Pete Evans in a photo taken for Good Weekend in 2016.
Pete Evans in a photo taken for Good Weekend 2016. (James Brickwood / Sydney Morning Herald)

The company began removing misinformation related to COVID-19 that could contribute to imminent physical harm in January this year, when the virus was declared a global health emergency.

Between March and October, moderators removed about 12 million content from Facebook and Instagram.

On December 3, with the news of Pfizer’s successful COVID-19 vaccine trial, the company also announced that it would remove “false claims” about COVID-19 vaccines.


www.9news.com.au

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *