Saturday, January 16

$ 1 million reward offered for information on the 1987 murder of Victorian grandmother Kathleen Severino


the cold case It remains unsolved more than 30 years later, and Ballarat’s grandmother, Kathleen Severino, was last seen alive on the porch of her home on Drummond Street around 7.55 p.m. on December 31.

The next day, Ms Severino’s daughter, Glenda, found the 70-year-old man dead in her room, savagely assaulted and with fatal head injuries.

Homicide Squad detectives have provided a $ 1 million reward in exchange for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the 1987 murder of Ballarat’s grandmother, Kathleen Severino. (Victoria Police)

The house appeared to be ransacked, leaving detectives scratching their heads because it appeared they hadn’t stolen anything.

Detective Inspector Andrew Stamper said investigators were confident the murder was the result of a robbery gone wrong.

“In all likelihood, Kathleen had heard about the robbery and was in the process of going to see what happened … and unfortunately she was subjected to a horrendous attack,” he said.

Images from news coverage of the murder in 1987. (Nine)

Investigators believe that Ms Severino was killed sometime between 10.30pm and 11.30pm

His heartbroken daughter Glenda told reporters today that her mother was constantly on her mind and that the family was still struggling to come to terms with her death.

“It’s still hard to believe that mom is gone,” he said.

“He has broken us as a family. Much of our family has been lost since he left.

“There’s no way Mom can be at peace. I don’t know if we could move on.”

Daughter Glenda is still devastated by her mother’s murder and is waiting for someone to come forward with information. (Nine)

Detective Inspector Stamper said police would leave no stone unturned to bring about the closure of Ms. Severino’s family, increasing the reward to $ 1 million.

“We know that people who commit, or are part of, horrible crimes like these often reveal their actions to someone,” he said.

“For that reason, detectives are putting a $ 1 million reward on the table for information that will allow us to identify, arrest and convict those responsible for the murder of Kathleen Severino.

“While 34 years have passed since Kathleen’s murder, that doesn’t mean it is too late for her family to get the justice it deserves.

“We absolutely believe that this case has a solution.”

Glenda pleaded for anyone in the community with information to come forward so that her mother’s killer could be brought to justice.

“A person must be safe in his own home,” he said.

“There’s no way Mom can be at peace. I don’t know if we could move on.”

The death of Ballarat’s grandmother could have been the result of a robbery gone wrong. (Nine)

A witness reported seeing a man and a woman in the vicinity of the woman’s home at that time.

A 19-year-old man was charged with the murder of Ms. Severino in July 1990.

However, the charges were dropped before the matter went to trial after a witness reversed his evidence.

The previously accused man died in 2017 as a result of a medical incident.

But the man and one of his former associates remain persons of interest in the investigation, which the Homicide Squad has reviewed several times over the past 30 years.

Detectives also believe that those responsible for the woman’s death may not yet have been identified.

“Despite the decades that have passed, there is every reason to believe that someone knows what happened to Kathleen and who is responsible,” said Detective Inspector Stamper.

Anyone with information that can help investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers at 1800333000.


www.9news.com.au

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *