Australian News

Australian news and media publication

A man has been shot to death by police after allegedly charging officers with an “edged weapon” in the West Gippsland region of Victoria.

A dramatic showdown between the man and officers unfolded just before 9 a.m. on Princes Way in Drouin, following a police chase in which the man was erratically driving a stolen silver Audi pickup.

9News understands that the man did not drop the weapon, which is believed to be a knife, forcing the police to shoot him.

An aerial view of the scene at Drouin. (Nine)

A Victoria police spokesman said the man had stolen the Audi from another man in Mirboo North at 7.40 am, about 60 kilometers further southeast of Drouin.

Police were told that the offender threatened the man with a knife before fleeing with the car.

“Police were initially called at the intersection of Baths Road and Strzelecki Highway in Mirboo North to receive reports of an armed carjacking around 7.40am,” the spokesman said.

“Investigators were told that a man armed with a knife threatened a man before stealing his silver Audi pickup.”

The air ambulance at the scene. (Nine)

Police then tracked down the stolen Audi, the high-speed chase ended in Drouin after the man crashed into another vehicle.

“The responding police tried to stop the car before it was involved in a collision,” the spokesman said.

“During the highly dynamic incident the man is believed to have pulled out a sharp weapon and was shot by the police.”

The man suffered serious upper body injuries and was evaluated by paramedics.

A map of where the shooting happened in Drouin. (Nine)
Witness Brock, who was driving by at the time, said 3AW he saw the police chase come to an end, before they shot each other.

The man said the offender crashed the Audi head-on into an oncoming car.

He then got out of his car and charged the police with a “weapon of some kind.”

“He proceeds to get out of his car … holding something in his hand, not sure what exactly it was, it must be a weapon of some kind because the police were yelling at him to drop it, he didn’t drop it and yes , there were shots, “he said.

“He was just erratic, he was running. He didn’t seem to be quite into it, he was agitated and aggressive.”

The witness said he heard two shots fired at the man, who then fell to the ground.

“(The police) gave him every opportunity to stop,” Brock said.

Victoria police said the investigation was “in its infancy” and that Homicide Squad detectives would investigate the shooting.

The investigation will be overseen by the Professional Standards Command, as per standard protocol when a police firearm is fired.

Anyone who witnessed the incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers at 1800333000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *