Wednesday, December 1

COVID South Australia: No new cases reported


South Australia is rolling out a list of changes to COVID-19 restrictions starting at midnight, after the state recorded zero new cases today.

Starting from the first minute of tomorrow, the border with Victoria will finally be reopened, allowing travel between the two states.

Victorians entering South Australia will still need to complete an online permission form.

The Victorian border of South Australia will reopen from midnight. (9News)

The masks will also be mandatory for people in allied medical and residential care, and the state will implement its mandatory QR code registration system for businesses and venues.

But also, stand-up drinking will return to pubs and weddings, while customer limits in companies will be removed.

Up to 150 people will be allowed at private functions and funerals, but in-home events will still be restricted to a maximum of 10 people.

Community sport will also resume.

It comes after the South Australian government admitted that the alleged rapist linked to the state’s COVID group had not been told to self-quarantine.

Public Health Noncommissioned Officer Dr. Emily Kirkpatrick said the Parafield group now has 33 cases.

Dr. Kirkpatrick reiterated that anyone who attends the following sites should be tested.

  • Flinders University, Sturt Campus – November 13-28
  • Big W Brickworks, Torrensville – November 22
  • Foodland Norwood – November 22
  • Kmart Kurralta Park – November 22
People are seen queuing at the Parafield Gardens COVID testing center on November 17, 2020 in Adelaide, Australia.  (Photo by David Mariuz / Getty Images)
People are seen queuing at the Parafield Gardens COVID-19 testing center in Adelaide. (Getty)

More than 4,000 tests were received yesterday, a number that Dr. Kirkpatrick hopes will be significantly higher tomorrow.

Dr. Kirkpatrick urged people to wear masks when away from home and said they are now mandatory in health care facilities as of midnight tonight.

A man suspected of violating the quarantine was approved, and authorities now say he was a casual contact who visited a site at risk and therefore was not under a quarantine order.

Public Health Noncommissioned Officer Dr. Emily Kirkpatrick urges all people visiting risky sites to get tested. (Nine)

The man, in his 30s, was a contact for another student at an English provider on the Sturt campus of Flinders University.

Dr. Kirkpatrick said the man was never formally told to self-quarantine because it was a casual contact and had been asked to take a test and isolate himself while awaiting the results.

Her first test was negative, but her second test, taken 11 days later, was positive, sparking concern when she went shopping after the state lockdown was lifted.

South Australian Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said the man did nothing wrong.

South Australia Police Commissioner Grant Stevens says the restrictions are on the way to being eased. (Getty)

Commissioner Stevens also said the state was still on track to ease restrictions at midnight, including opening the border with Victoria.

Travelers entering SA from Victoria will still need to obtain pre-approval online.

Dr. Kirkpatrick encouraged people to get tested and noted that there were some wait times at the testing sites, particularly in Victoria Park.


www.9news.com.au

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *